Sunday, April 13, 2008

Door

I want to thank everyone for your amazing efforts. I will do that after I share something with you.

It all started when Nate and I were riding around neighborhoods looking at trees. You will recall from one of my previous blogs that I wanted a tree to plant in honor of my Mema's life. As we were riding we saw the nicest yard. It had blooming fruit trees, beautiful azaelas and a manicured lawn. The most striking thing was the house. The house was a neutral color of which I can not even remember. But the front door was just amazing. It was a reddish- pink color and didn't match a thing. That was the beauty of it. Just so that if you saw it, your eyes would be immediately directed to the door. It was so charming. I said out loud, "Look at that door!" Where do you think we went next? We went straight to Lowe's for nothing else but a quart of reddish- pink paint. I walked right to the paint selections and picked it out.... Heirloom Red. I took it home and wanted to get right to work. For some reason though, I didn't. The paint can has been sitting on the porch just looking at me.

This moring at church, Pastor Billie's message was from John 10:10. The Holy Spirit led him to talk about "doors". He spoke of the unusual artistry of the doors in Denmark. He had taken a picture of one of the doors and recalled the thickness, the massive hinges, and intricate carvings on the door. He wondered of the famous people who must have walked through the door, their lives behind it. Also their lives as they exited the door, going out into the world. He spoke about the significance of the doors to our homes. Home is where we feel protected and our children feel safe. In John 10: 1-10, Jesus tells us that He is the door. "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep." (v. 7) You see, there is no literal door of lumber, hinges, and nails. Jesus IS the door. "I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture." (v.9) Pastor Billie went on to describe these pastures. He said, "Green pastures are communities of love. Loving God, loving one another, and loving the goodness of life itself. Green pastures are giving and recieving love. In this 'banquet of life' there is joy in serving and not sitting comfortably in a pew. We should be making the world thirsty and hungry, because sadly about 90% of people are living in brown pastures." He then went on to John 10:10 which is a familiar passage to most. "The thief comes only to steal, kill, and destroy; I have come that they might have life, and have it to the full."

A question that I often ask God, is 'Why?' Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do I have to live with a brain disease called Chiari Malformation? And the answer to that question is we are a part of Humanity. Chances are everyone of us will face sickness, disease, or tragedy. And there are no chances with death. Death is certain. We will all die. But here is the WONDERFUL thing.......... the theif CAN steal, he CAN kill, and he CAN destroy but he CAN NOT steal, kill, or destroy my soul because my shepard is THE door! I CAN NOT be taken from HIS hand! Where will I be? I will be in the Green Pastures. I, in my Savior, and He will be, and I quote Pastor Billie, "watching my every breath as I take it in and let it out." There is Life in the green pastures and Life to the fullest, Life in Jesus.

Through the night and this morning I have pondered all the love and unselfishness of my community, friends, and family. It wasn't until I was sitting in church this morning that I no longer felt "undeserving". Afterall, as I quoted earlier, green pastures are giving AND receiving love. So I receive it. I graciously receive your prayers, your service, your friendship, your donations, your meals, your love. I have amazing friends. Friends for life. To All who did Anything, I Love You. Now, this week when I paint my door Heirloom Red, I will think of the Gate, the Green Pasture, and of Living Life to the Fullest with ALL of you!

At the close of service I knew what I had to do... I had to publish this... and as we closed our eyes and bowed our heads to pray, Pastor Billie prayed, " and Lord, that this message would not to stay in theses 4 walls but would go out," and it has. It has gone out to you and the many people who will ever read this blog....
as soon as I find a suitable picture of my beauiful green pasture I will replace the dark picture in my heading. You see that is me, not really, but that is me standing in what would feel like rising waters, with a stormy sky,..... but do you see the glimmer of sun afar? I am done with that... now I want thick, soft, green grass and a Massive amount of Sunshine:)!

1 comment:

Karla said...

What wonderful words! You have brought me to tears!

Love ya,
Karla